75100385

I booked a holiday with Hurtigruten, tour,flights,flights to

Customer Question

I booked a holiday with Hurtigruten, tour,flights,flights to Spitzbergen,hotels and activities. The first part was fine. We were unable to fly to Spitzbergen due to bad weather and were put up at a hotel. 36 hours later we flew, but the plane was unable to land. We spent the night at Tromso airport. The flight was going to try again next morning but even if we had taken it (and I don't know if the flight ran) we would have been in no state to go ice caving immediately we landed. We were due to leave Spitzbergen the next day to fly home via Oslo so took the option of flying directly there, finding a hotel and catching our planned flight to London next day. Our insurers will only cover 3 x 12 hour delay periods and say it is up to our holiday firm to refund the £2,200 we have lost. Hurtigruten decline to pay.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did your insurance cover compensation for lost nights etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The policy reads in Section 1: Cancellation or curtailment charges Limit up to per person £2500 with an excess of £100.

Section 10: Trip cancellation (after 12 hour delay) £2500.

In Exclusions: Circumstances that could reasonably have been anticipated at the time the trip was booked or when you purchased this insurance.

Ok. You could have chosen a different policy with better cover? At a cost of course I think?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We chose this company because my husband has leukaemia and I had 2 TIA's 10 years ago. It was not cheap. Apparently there is 'super duper cover' but at no time were we offered it and it would not have covered us anyway.

Are you saying that Hurtigruten is not liable? Do we just have to lose the money?

Who are you saying is responsible?
What did they do wrong?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know who is responsible but we were not informed that we could have taken better cover (but would not have been covered for loss of trip anyway). We lost 4 and a half days of our holiday due to bad weather stopping flights, we lost 4 nights hotel and 3 activities, Surely we should be able to have some money back. Does the responsibility lie with the holiday company or the insurers?

I am asking for your advice.

I think you should go to the ombudsman. It's not the holiday company fault for bad weather, you can't help that and they have not been negligent in any way, however because of this you are only entitled to whatever your policy says you can have.
If you have been Missold the policy or feel it was not as you expected then you can complain to the financial ombudsman who regulates their activities. They are independent and can investigate your complaint for free at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
But I do not think the holiday company are responsible as it was bad weather which is an act of God.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thanks. I will go the ombudsman.

Good luck.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.