Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have become one of the five trustees after my husband died.

Customer Question

I have become one of the five trustees after my husband died. I am entitled to enjoy rent and the property left to my 3 children by 1st marrige.
For unhealthy family reason i want to disclaim the property which in trust. Can I disclaim it?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You are indeed legally entitled to disclaim your legacy, which I guess is a life interest. You need to do this by the preparation of a Deed of Variation. The Deed, in effect, changes the terms of your husband's Will, post death.

It is a relatively straight forward process for a Solicitor to prepare and is likely to cost approx £250-£350 plus VAT.

Please note the Deed will need to be signed and dated within 2 years from the date of your husband's death.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al