How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was recently convicted of failing to provide a sample of

Customer Question

I was recently convicted of failing to provide a sample of breath. The reason for this is I was not offered the opportunity to do so. When I went to court they said that they have a copy of the cctv as I requested. But there was no audio, is this normal as the camera covered the booking in area as well as the intoximeter area. Please can you help . I'm convinced that the audio was removed to protect the officers accountability. Thanks marc
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you intend to appeal please? Are you saying audio does exist?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can there be cctv of the intoximeter room but no audio. Surely that means that any officer can say that you refused to give a sample of breath in court and you cannot contest it. As this is what happened to me.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
So you were arrested but never asked to provide a sample? Was just one officer a witness ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was taken to the intoximeter area- room. I was talking to the officer about the circumstances of my arrest ,as we did not agree on the matter the officer said put him back in the cell. I did not at any time refuse to do a test. The officer in court said I was agitated and very aggressive ,also said that I refused to do the test until I had a solicitor present . I was fully aware that if I refused I would be breaking the law. But that was not the case. How can I be found guilty on cctv footage but no audio. The officer lied and I can prove that. I find it difficult to belive there is not audio in the intoximeter area. Iv got good video and sound of a £10 camera from China. How can this happen? I could not defend myself? .

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Was it just one officer that gave evidence?
How can you show their was audio? Did you raise this at the hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes just one officer . I raised it to my solicitor and asked how can they provide cctv with no audio? His reply was I don't know. So when questioned I did not raise the matter . I know other stations have audio in the intoximeter area - room. Also they can remove audio to protect other people. I was relying on there being audio to prove my inoncence. I just can understand how an officer can make any person guilty by lying and this is being recorded on cctv. Should there be audio? If not then there's something wrong with the procedure . The officer is then the judge.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did your solicitor write to the police and clarify the position on audio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know I just asked for the cctv thinking there would be audio . If he didn't ask for audio he can't be very good as I stated the audio was very important . How can I know if there is audio if I phone the police they just going to fob me off. I'm so stressed that I can't think straight.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
So if you appeal and the audio is not available, what do you intend to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What can I do ? Surely if they have audio in one station they should in another. How do I find out if there is audio? Under what rule am I allowed to access this information . They ether do have audio or not. Whey is this not standard practice across all of the UK. ?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can complain to the Chief Constable or Professional Standards Department. They can look into it for you. But bear in mind you only generally have a limited time to appeal your conviction in the Magistrates Court. You can appeal out of time, but that can be harder.
So write an official complaint and see what the result is. If you are not satisfied with that response you can then consider going to the IPCC
But at this stage there is nothing stopping you appealing the conviction to the crown court.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice