12826847

I bought some cup final tickets from someone who claimed to

Customer Question

I bought some cup final tickets from someone who claimed to be a promoter for Wembley and I was given his number by someone who said they had checked him out and he was legitimate.
It now seems he was a fraudster and has scammed many supporters from both sides. Police are now involved and it is believed he has committed suicide.
I have been told by a third party that I could be prosecuted for buying from an illegal ticket seller although I had believed him to be genuine. IS this a possibility as I could lose my job if this was the case?
You can be prosecuted for ticket touting but it depends what the police are saying that you have actually done.
Ticket touting does now cover every link in the chain. There was a real problem for the Crown in showing that the seller was the actual tout because ticket touts used to work together to avoid the police being able to do that by passing the tickets between them. That gap has now been closed up.
However, if the police accept that you were scammed then they are not going to prosecute you. There has to be some evidence that you were involved in a way that you knew or suspected to be wrong. It is not an offence of absolute liability.
Usually touting involves selling a ticket for greater than the price upon the front of the ticket so it is not difficult to ascertain who was involved and who was not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** clarify because others are reporting this but I didn't want to if I was going to be held liable in any way. Many thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Out of interest I was given his number by someone who was getting paid £50 per ticket sold as commission for bringing in buyers, I found out later. She is a friend who I believed and who I believe felt she was genuinely helping people

I believe this person had checked him out(how I'm not sure although we do know where he lives) and she thought he was genuine. Is she likely to be prosecuted?

Yes, she could be. That is ticket touting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh dear. thanks for that..It seems that the guy has died and the money has been cleared out of all accounts, possibly by the wife? The police are saying they can't do anything now because he has died. Does that mean they will not investigate or does it now go to the fraud people if the money has disappeared? Is there no hope of recovering any money ..seems sad he has died, only a young chap but who has taken all this money?

It is not very likely they will investigate this really.
This is ticket touting and there is a general public interest that it be prosecuted but they are far too busy mediating childish domestic disputes and prosecuting people who tried to kiss somebody one hundred years ago to deal with any real crime in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear you sound a bit disenchanted! Don't blame you then. Many thanks for that. Looks like money lost then. Bye and thanks

Yes, the public would be too if they had any idea how their money is spent!!
All the best.