UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been in holiday 25 days, but i did not

Customer Question

I have been in holiday for about 25 days, but i did not tell my neighbours. On my return, I've found that at my neighbour's request, police has broken into my flat to see if I was ok, or in need of medical attention, or even dead.
I understand the concern, but now I am left with a damage that will cost me nearly £1000 to put right.
I have written to Police, but they refuse to pay, or even contribute to the repair costs.
I have never been in this situation before and I don't know if Police have the right to do this and not pay, or even contribute to the cost for the repairs.
Please, if you could help me to clarify this situation.
Many thanks,
Mihail.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid the police have no legal liability to pay for the cost of repairs to your door.
You should see if there is any insurance cover which will pay e.g. Buildings insurance, if not, you will have to foot the bill yourself.
Sorry but I can only advise you truthfully.