13262538

There, I am the father of 2 children I have

Hi There,
I am the father of 2 children for whom I have been paying maintenance through the CSA.
I am the sole director and employee of a small company contracting engineering services. I am a minority shareholder in the company (my parents are the majority shareholders.
I have just been reassessed by the CSA who claim that as a sole director, all the dividends declared by the company are classified as my income, even though the majority is paid to my parents.
My question is whether there is any legal basis (e.g precident / judgement) which justifies their actions?
Thank you in advance,
Gavin.
How did your parents come to be Shareholders in your company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

This is how my accountant set things up at the outset to make things tax efficient. Both my parents are retired so they can benefit from the dividends without incurring tax liability.

Hope this helps,

Gavin.

So they have made no direct contribution to the firm whatsoever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Other than helpful advice, no.

Gavin

I see
Then I am afraid that the CSA can indeed do this
It is contained in S71 here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/184683/cmec-si-csmc-regs-2012.pdf
This replaced earlier provisions discussed here
http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/content/could-do-better
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for your prompt and efficient replies.

I just have one further question, if the directorships changed such that my parents were joint directors and I was just an employee without directorship, would this change the situation?

Gavin.

Highly unlikely given the circumstances you have outlined