12826847

My friend had one of her dogs poisoned by her neighbour

Hi my friend had one of her dogs poisoned by her neighbour there was no proof so police did nothing
She placed her other dogs in a temporary foster home whilst looking for a place to live
As she worried they would also be poisoned
The dog ended up twice breaking its tail lost a lot of weight and the foster then put the dog to sleep as it became aggressive ( owner asked for the dog back but foster refused )
They On my way! blame owner for dogs injuries and weight loss but days before the dog had been given a clean bill of health by a vet as it was taken in to check it hadent also ingested poison
Where does this woman's rights lie now
She is devastated having two of her dogs killed by other people ( neighbour had repeatedly threatened to poison her dogs)
Which rights are you thinking of?
Do you have a specific question in mind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did they have the right to have a dog put to sleep that didn't belong to them the dog wasn't signed over to them it was in emergency foster care
The foster refused to hand the dog back then put it to sleep claiming the dog was ill and aggressive when the vet saw the dog days before going into foster and gave it a full health check
The dog ended u
Breaking its tail twice whilst in foster care loosing a lot of weight then being put to sleep
Where does the owner stand With this surely it can't be allowed
It depends.
In principle, they did not because she seems to be saying that they only had the dog on loan.
However they will be saying that the dog was handed over to rescue and was in emergency foster care for that reason. If that is right then they were free sadly to put the dog down. There is no offence in euthanising a dog for any reason that the owner chooses as long as it is done in accordance with veterinary practice.
Also, even if they were not free to do this, quite frankly, it is not worth pursuing. Dogs have a value to their owners that vastly exceed their actual legal worse and any claim would only be for the legal value of the dog rather than the amount that he was worth to his owner.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sadly that sounds about right thank you for clearing that up
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/