12826847

My common law partner paid his wage into a joint account, whilst

Customer Question

My common law partner paid his wage into a joint account, whilst I used my cash wage on the food and other things,his wage much higher than mine. As the account started mounting up some was put into an account in his name then any more over the last few years has bought premium bonds also in his name.
We have a daughter who is 26 so when he worked week on week off or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off I looked after house etc and worked.
He says I have no right to any of the savings in his name and he has cleared the joint account, as he said his solicitor told him to.
Oh yes he has just returned from a 4 month trip to Thailand with his 24 year old girl friend who went with him. At least the house is in joint names and is mortgage free.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much was in the Joint Account?
was it ever verbally agreed that he would save and you would pay the bills?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£28000 no it was the best option . Spread your money I case the banks crash .also Santander offering 123.
Money before that regular £600 to £20000 transfer to Halifax his as this extra money in joint account each month. All the rest I can account when switched from current account over past 3/4 years.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So there was £28,000 in the joint savings - and idea how much in his sole name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£40000 premium bonds £28000 Halifax £15000 is a £21000 Santander £23000 Scottish widows.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Did he ever actually say that the savings in his name were also yours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I'm stupid but when all is ok and you live as a couple him working week on week off me looking after house child and working as well his money goes in joint account pays bills my wage paid in cash spent on food house bits etc.
as I didn't know it was going to end I thought it was our money for when we got older. He is pensioned as bad tinnitus and not allowed to work in engine room anymore I only work 11 hours at pub so thought more time together.
I didn't know it had to be verbally agreed that it was ours not just his. He says that because I didn't put any in I don't get any out.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
It is not quite as bleak as that - and I do understand about not talking about such things.
However cast your mind back to the better times and any discussions you had about savings etc. was there any kind of clear understanding that he was saving for both of you?
Were you ever engaged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never engaged. He never said the savings were just for him. I wrongly presumed they were to make our life comfortable as we got older.
How could he be advised to take all money out of joint account. He has said he has transferred the bills direct debits over as well so at least I don't have to worry about that.
Half house and half endowment is what he says I can have.
Feeling lost as don't want to loose money fighting a lost cause.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just because he says he was told to do this does not mean that he was!
For clarity - who actually paid the mortgage each month - where did those funds come from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His wages paid mortgage and bills etc luckily paid off and house in joint names and endowment in joint names but he's still paying it each month. 4 more years till end so is savings. It's the other monies that I wanted to know about,as yes it was him who put it in the accounts but my wage went on every day things etc.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.
So he paid the mortgage and bills, you paid for food and everything else, and he put the rest of his income in savings?