Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have recently moved into a flat with a covenant that reads

Customer Question

I have recently moved into a flat with a covenant that reads 'not to erect a pole,mast,aerial in connection with wireless or tv apparatus without previous consent of the landlord provided that consent shall not be unreasonably withheld' The building has a dish and aerial installed already and I have installed another much smaller dish in order to receive a Sky Plus system. Can this rule still be enforced ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
This covenant can be enforced but as it says a) it is the landlord who must consent to it or enforce it and b) such consent is not to be unreasonably with held or delayed. Where exactly have you located the dish?
The residents are not the ones that can object or enforce this, it has to be the landlord.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dish is located on the wall outside my flat. The lease is held byDoveash Property Management Ltd. and was (I assume) purchased in 1985 from Reedmace Ltd. I felt that a precedent had been set as there is already a dish and aerial in place.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
If there are other dishes on the outside, then I do not think the landlord will be able to with hold its consent to this.
If yours is the only dish, then they may have grounds to insist that you relocate to the roof, to ensure that the facade of the building looks maintained.
It is not for the residents to force you to take it down, I would wait until someone complains to the landlord if at all.
AJ