Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am trying to find my mothers will. I thought i had traced

Customer Question

Hi i am trying to find my mothers will. I thought i had traced it but lloyds bank will not give me a copy as they are the executor of the will.
The copy that my brother in law gave me was not signed or dated,
it is also different from the one held at the bank the staff went and checked without the will i am unable to get copies of bank statements.
Her will never went to probate , i have also done other searches but still unable to trace her will. My brother in law dealt with her estate.
could you advise how i get a copy of her will. I have a copy of her death certificate.
I seem to be hitting a blank wall. thank you julie
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid to say that unless the Will went to Probate, it remains a private document. As such, the Executors are entitled to retain it and are under no duty to disclose its contents, other than to the beneficiaries.

A person who has been left a specific item under the Will or a specific sum of money is entitled to see a copy extract from the Will which specifies their legacy.

A person who is a residuary beneficiary (ie someone who is to inherit a percentage of the whole Estate) is entitled to see a full copy of the Will.

Unless you were a residuary beneficiary, therefore, you are not entitled to see the whole of the Will.

As Probate was not granted, this implies that your Mother's Estate was valued at under £5-10,000, as Probate is only required if a person's Estate is valued over this figure.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your quick reply. I was a beneficiary of her will. Her property was sold for £149,500. she also had life insurance, and savings. The reason I am trying to get a copy of my mothers will is I believe my brother in law acted as the executor and not Lloyds bank. so I would like to see the will and bank statements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Ashton lawyer
thank you for your quick reply.
I was a beneficiary of her will.
Her property was sold for £149,500.
she also had life insurance, and savings.
The reason I am trying to get a copy of my mothers will is I believe my brother in law acted as the executor and not Lloyds bank. so I would like to see the will and bank statements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashton lawyer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashton lawyer

thank you for your quick reply.
I was a beneficiary of her will.
Her property was sold for £149,500.

Hi Julie,

Sorry for the delay.

If your Mother did own a property, then Probate would have been required, on the bais that it was in her sole name.

I therefore suggest that you apply to Leeds Probate Registry, who can do a search for you, to see if Probate was granted, and if it was, you can obtain a copy to see who the Executor was and you will also be able to obtain a copy of the Will, both for a nominal fee.

Here is the link-

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

Kind Regards

Al