75100385

I am a small business owner and I advertise with Google via

Customer Question

I am a small business owner and I advertise with Google via AdWords which is their online advertising system. Last month I noticed that one of the campaigns in my account had accrued a large spend over several months for a video campaign which should not even have been running and I recall only ever setting this up as a test and then pausing it.
I am furious though - And the reason is because I genuinely believe that Google has designed the interface for AdWords and its reporting to encourage user error and make lots of money from this. The reason I think this is because
1. I receive daily spend reports into my inbox but these never included the campaign above because it needs to be set up separately. I believed my reports were covering off all spend in the account.
2. The section for video campaigns is completely separate to the rest of the accounts so when you log into the interface - there is no visible reporting. It is hiding away in a small tab accruing spend over time. I am an experienced user of AdWords and log in about once every two days. If this spend was reported clearly then it would never have kept going in the background.
So I want to challenge Google on this and I need to decide what angle to come from. I want my refund because I genuinely believe I have been wronged here.
What laws would cover the fair design of these type of online advertising tools and the accurate reporting that should come from them.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much is the overspend please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Around £2,000

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Given their system is not clear and they did not provide required reports to show this overspend then the Court can conclude they are liable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok but they are a massive multinational. Do they have to be based in the UK?

They have an office in the UK, but as long as they are in Europe you are ok.