Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father has just passed away. in his will it names his solicitors

my father has just passed away. in his will it names his solicitors as trustees and executors, i'm concerned that they will charge a considerable amount for this. Am I duty bound to used the named solicitors or can I choose one of my own.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Unfortunately,unless your Father's Estate is of little value, the Solicitors will not wish to give up their position as Executors, and I'm afraid you have no power to ask them to step down.

For whatever reason, your Father appointed them as Executors, and they will wish to carry out his wishes and are legally entitled to do so.

You can of course assist them as best you can, to keep the cost to a minimum, but all the necessary paperwork will have to be done by them.

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for that Al.

if I'm not legally entitled to ask them to step aside as his trustees, what authority do I have. I had Lasting Power of Attorney but I know this ceases on death. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about the costs of Solicitors executing a will and have not had great experience with my fathers firm over the years so I am genuinely worried about what they will charge, particularly when there are firms that offer fixed fees.

Can I ask them to give me a costing or will I just be told it's dependent on the work involved.

regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid you have no authority whatsoever, when it comes to administering the Estate. However, you may be able to provide them with all of your Father's paperwork (Bank details/utility/bills) and any other info they need.

You can of course ask them to confirm the basis of their charges- ie their hourly rate, and the final cost will of course depend on the amount of hours work they have to do.

Kind Regards

Al