12826847

Ok I would like to gift my daughter 50k as deposit to buy

Ok I would like to gift my daughter 50k as deposit to buy her own property. She is on benefits, only works 1 hour a day at a school. Can she purchase a property and not lose her benefits. She has one daughter 8 years old.
Which benefits is she receiving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo
In response, she gets housing benefit, child benefit, council tax reduction, and child tax credit. Thank you for your attention.
I am very sorry but those are means tested benefits. Upon a means tested benefit you have to declare your means.
If she is 50k then all means tested benefits would stop immediately as that is just plain over the threshold.
If she purchases a property then she might be able to get housing benefit to pay the interest on that property although not repayment as long as it doesn't exceed her needs. However, all other means tested benefits would stop as she has a property.
I am very sorry but I'm afraid the benefits system is for people without means.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u for your response. On a day to day, and month to month basis she does need assistance but this 50k is a gift for deposit on a property only, it wouldn't even go into her account., the mortgage would probably be less than the rent on her rented property. Anyway, I can't see any way she can go forward with this, thank u for your help.
Mrs young
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/