I recieved a back dated electric bill of 2 years total

I recieved a back dated electric bill of 2 years total £890.32 I have been paying constantley by D.D. each month. I have a complex meter which has 3 different rates which have to be read. The lady I spoke to a couple of days ago agreed the fault was theres because meter hadnt been read properly also it had something to do with the new system they were setting up! I live in a one bedroom flat with 2 working night storage heaters. I said as this is not my fault I should not have to pay this bill but I ahve been told that because I have been paying the bill in part all this time by D.D. then I have to pay this bill. If I had been recieveing bills instead then I would not be asked to be paying so much. Huh! wheres the sense of that? I got so fed up with all my calls & being told its my fault I have to pay so I set up a payment plan which kicks in end of June but my question to you is.................... Do I really have to pay for something that was not my fault? Im with NPower & Im also all electric I thank you in advance for your help

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you dispute using the electricity ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I dont dispute the use of the electricity what I dispute is the amount of the bill after all this time & they admitting its was there fault.

Why was I not told this a couple of months in so I could have made an increase in DD when it was needed not get sent a bill for nearly £1,000 2 years later.

I dont have this sort of money its enough to give anybody a heart attack at our ages!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do understand. They have been inefficient but that doesn't mean that they cannot demand payment. Come what may, you have used the electricity and it has to be paid for.
You can ask to pay in instalments as ultimately they didn't tell you. The trouble with that argument is that equally you weren't giving them readings or they were not accurate so it is a double edged sword.
They have six years from the date of default to enforce a breach of contract so they are in time. Also, they can get entry warrants to fit a pre paid meter as this is a utility debt so it is not the creditor to challenge lightly.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much I well appreciate what you have explained also the truthfulness.

Your advice well worth the money thank youSmile

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Just for your assistance, just because that is what the court will order does not mean it is what the company will accept. You can always offer a lesser sum in full and final settlement. Anybody can make any offer and sometimes they do accept.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice