12826847

I am being taken to court by my neighbours in the flat above

I am being taken to court by my neighbours in the flat above mine for racial abuse. This has not happened this couple have accused U.S. My husband and I of putting a nail through their car tyres, poisoning their cat, making noise,ect. We have had the police involved in this and after coming to our home and interviewing us, found no evidence of us having done this. Our local housing association have also been contacted about our supposed noise and wrote to say they find us not guilty of the said noise.. We have been having Harrisment from this couple for the last ten months, banging on the floor till four in the morning. Abusing any visitors to our home, playing loud music. Our two adjoining neighbours have witnessed this and sat in my home at one and two o'clock AM to prove this is happening. The council say they can do nothing, now we are being accused of the. Racial abuse my husband and I are both disabled and both pensioners we do not have the funds to fight this.please what can we do.
What are they taking you to court for?
What specific charge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the letter I have received it says, intent to cause Edith and Robert don harassment,alarm, or distress used threatening behaviour thereby causing that or another person harassment alarm or distress and the offence was racially agravated
Ok.
Racially aggravated harassment.
Is this a summons to a criminal court?
Have you been interviewed by the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a magistrates court and yes the police have interviewed me at our local station.
OK. This is a criminal charge then.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know nothing about courts as I have never been to one in my 63 years. I don't know what to expect and don't have the funds to pay. And I have not done any such thing to this couple. It seems if they can't get us on one thing then they will get us on something else and I don't know where to go from here
OK.
So what is your question about this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can I expect when I attend and can I have witness to back up what I am saying
On the first occasion you will just be asked to enter a plea.
They will probably offer to adjourn it off so that you can seek legal advice. Legal aid should be available.
If you plead not guilty they will adjourn it for a trial.
If you plead guilty they will probably adjourn for a pre sentence report.