12826847

My sister at her work has been caught making two twenty pound

my sister at her work has been caught making two twenty pound gift cards and using them herself . she handed her notice in before this came to light and her employers have said they are handing the matter over to the police. Should she go herself to the police station or just wait ? Do you think she will be formally charged or could she get a caution ? This is her first ever offence and I don't understand why she has done this as is normally a very well thought of individual.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you simply want to know about the criminal side or the employment side too? The two are separate areas of law?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes criminal please

ok I will pass it on to a colleague, no need to reply in the meantime thanks
I am a criminal practitioner.
Just she think they actually will report this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou, yes one of her friends at work have told her that the police had telephoned to make a time to come in and speak with the manager.

There isn't really much point in handing yourself in at this stage. Apart from anything else the police are not ready to interview her and if they haven't received a complaint they would just refuse to become involved. If the store doesn't report it then it is not the policy of the police to go round and encourage them to do so unless, of course, the offence takes the form of a stupid domestic argument that happens to us all regularly which the Crown euphemistically call 'domestic abuse'.
If the police do make contact with her then she really should make an appointment to hand herself in. If she does not they will only arrest her.
this is theft from employer which aggravates the offence of theft hugely because of the breach of trust. However, it is fairly low value so there is a chance of a caution. I have seen much higher amounts lead to a caution before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no thankyou for your help

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Experience: Over 5 years in practice