12826847

There. Five years ago myself and ex partner took out credit

Customer Question

Hi there. Five years ago myself and ex partner took out credit in both our names for online shopping company's. I signed us up for these accounts with her permission, she has now contacted me threatening me with fraud if I do not pay the debt in her name saying that she did not give me permission. I am very worried about this and would like to know what to expect and what I can do. Thank you.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know what will happen next and what to expect. I.e. will I need to go to court? What could the out come be? What can I do to from my side?

Well, it depends. She may never report this. It might be just hot air.
Sometimes people do go to the police and lie through their teeth. In fairness, that doesn't happen often. Not all that many people in the UK bare faced lie but some do.
If she does then it will be investigated. It will come down to whether or not a fact finder believes you or her. That will depend on the detail. If, for instance, you responded immediately denying it then that will be helpful. If you didn't then that gives rise to an inference. If there is evidence that she has previously had notification of this and taken no action then that would also be useful.
if she is being untruthful then it is usually possible to create a doubt in the evidence of a false accuser. With an allegation like this there is always a paper trail which can undermine their claims. Some allegations lend themselves to the professional victim better than others but they are mostly things like sexual offences and other similar allegations that are easy to make.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The paper trail would say that the accounts were opened from my computer, if she can prove she was not there at the time when they were opened, although she gave me permission, what could happen and how can I prove she did give me permision?

It doesn't matter about that. They won't trace IP addresses and anyway it had to be opened at somebody's computer.
The question is going to be is it obvious that she knew about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She knew about it from the day they were opened, she sat with me and bought items online from the accounts and some of the items were delivered to her address at the time. I guess my main worry is can I go to jail for this?

Well, if they were delivered to her address then her allegation is weakened. Where did she think they came from?
Also, why would you be ordering products that are clearly for a female?
These false accusers think they will get away with it because people won't look in detail at their allegation and they get a rude awakening. Save, of course, for allegations of sexual and domestic abuse when they can always excuse inconsistencies in their account by saying that they were 'traumatised' or some other similar nonsense.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think most of the items were mine and house hold items. She is admitting that she allowed one account to be opened and I think that is the account that had the female products in it but the items from the other accounts were still delivered to her address and she did know about them. So should I not worry?

Well, she may make an allegation but if those are the facts then it should be possible to defend it.