75100385

Water has leaked into my flat from my neighbour's flat above.

Water has leaked into my flat from my neighbour's flat above. Is he liable for the damage to my bathroom ceiling?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Are you the freeholder as well? Does the freeholder have buildings insurance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freeholder has insurance but I am advised by the managing agent that there is an excess of £500 which exceeds the likely cost of making good

Ok. Yes the neighbour is responsible, had it not been for the water there would be no damage.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This seems clear. Am I able to raise an additional question with you without further charge if some new development occurs?

Yes you may.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks and I will sign off for now

Ian

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am having difficulty obtaining my neighbours residential address ( the flat is let out). Will an email, cc'd to the management agent, be sufficient proof of notice that a claim has been made? IRW

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?