12826847

I am in dispute with a builder who renovated a property for

I am in dispute with a builder who renovated a property for me two years ago. I paid him a lot more than he originally quoted as he kept producing statements of costs which I met almost without question. A year after completion of the works when I had already rented the property out, he sent me further invoices for £7,000. I couldn't understand these invoices as they were very muddled, but as a good will gesture I offered £3,000 in settlement. This was refused. I offered a further £1,000 (ie. a total of £4,000) and heard nothing at all for six months. I have only recently (6 months after above offer) had a threatening email insisting I pay the full amount, plus interest, or be taken to court.
I have sent the £4,000 I originally offered, but wish to draw this matter to a close. What should I do to end his unjustified claims?
I'm not sure what you mean? You mean how do you defend them? Obviously there is no magic wand that will stop him bringing them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to prove that he does not have a case, and that in submitting the invoices so long after the job his claim is unreasonable; likewise not responding to my offer for six months. Is there anything in law which would confirm his behaviour is unreasonable?

Not really and whether his behaviour is unreasonable or not is a non issue. Most people who come to court have behaved unreasonably at some point or another otherwise they wouldn't be there.
The issue is whether he has any claim. That will come down to whether you paid in full. He says you did not. You say you did. This will turn upon who is believed in court and probably also upon his evidence.
The fact that you have made him offers that I imagine were not without prejudice ones is likely to be something he will use against you. That does tend to suggest you accept that something is owed and would be difficult to meet.
He has six years to bring a claim so the fact of delay is not a relevant consideration here.