LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Can a defendant sue me I have said

Customer Question

Can a defendant sue me for libel for something I have said in small claims court papers ?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
The short answer is probably yes.
As long as your statement is used for the court proceedings and not for any other purpose and the information that is said to be defamatory is relevant to the proceedings then you will be protected by the doctrine of "absolute privilege".
This is the rule that statements made in connection with court proceedings can not be the subject of a defemation action.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wouldn't that make the answer no, not yes ?
yes you are right the short answer is no. Sorry for the confusion there. Monday morning!