12826847

I am Secretary of a recently established Management Committee

Customer Question

I am Secretary of a recently established Management Committee set up to restore and maintain a Memorial Green ( with War Memorial) in Llandogo, Monmouthshire. We are trying to establish where legal title to the Green area sits, in the absence of any deeds or formal documentation. We know that the Green was originally part of the local Pilstone estate and that it may have been donated to the village when the estate was auctioned off in different lots in 1917. It is also believed that the local church ( vicar/churchwarden) may have been asked to act as trustees for the Green on behalf of the village at that time, although again there are no records ( it was the local vicar who convened a public meeting late in 2014 to set up the Management Committee incidentally). We have drawn a blank with the Land Registry and have established that the Green is not formally registered as a Village Green under the 1965 Act. The Church in Wales have no specific records and we cannot trace the records of the solicitors who handled the sale of Pilstone estate in 1917 ( Vizard & Co solicitors of Monmouth were absorbed into another firm which claims their records do not go this far back).
Ideally we would like to establish the Memorial Green as a charity with the committee elected annually by local residents, with legal title to the Green vested with the charity. This we believe would help us with grant fundraising etc. Alternatively we wondered whether registering the area as a village green would achieve the same objective. Our difficulty is that local solicitors seem unwilling to tackle the task !
Some initial advice on how we might go about safeguarding the legal ownership of the Green with the village or a charity made up of local residents, would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for coming back to me. I would like you to close down this question and refund the £47 to my account.

Martin XXXX

PS I have used JustAnswer successfully on a previous occasion and will consider the same in the future.