75100385

This concerns company law in England/Wales. Are the minutes

Customer Question

This concerns company law in England/Wales. Are the minutes of general meetings of a private limited company confidential to the members of that company only?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am concerned about the conduct of the board of a company of which I am a shareholder. I intend to replicate a motion tabled by the board at an EGM to persons who are not members of the company, in an attempt to ascertain whether or not I should be concerned.

Why do you want the minutes please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As a member of the company in question, I already have a copy of those minutes.

In what circumstances do you want to use them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am concerned about the conduct of the board of a company of which I am a shareholder. I intend to replicate a motion tabled by the board at an EGM to persons who are not members of the company, in an attempt to ascertain whether or not I should be concerned. That replication will occur in letters to persons who routinely are involved in decisions made by general meetings and/or committees.

Ok, so you want to show them to an outside adviser?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Ok, then you can do this. That is fine. Generally minutes should not be disclosed outside the Company. But if you suspect wrong doing then you can do this. You could also argue that as a document which should be kept, it should be available for inspection at the Registered Office.
Therefore you can disclose it for this purpose. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thank you. I confirm my intention to disclose the information concerned responsibly and to persons whose probity indicates they will, in their turn, handle the disclosure responsibly also. Thank you for your advice.

Happy to help -good luck.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.