How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can the Landlord serve Notice and then agree

Customer Question

Can the Landlord serve Notice and then agree for extension subject to a serious rent increase?
There is no allowance for this in my Tenancy Agreement.
Following expiry of the notice period how long will take for the Landlord to get a Court eviction Order?
What is the time given by the Court for me to evacuate?
If there is a bailiff, how can he remove me and my belongings. When will he show up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
i assume you have an assured shorthold tenancy please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Must be not assured, the rent is over 100K

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I did not receive an answer to my question.
The expert only asked me a short question to which I replied.
I had no further correspondence with the expert
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay but when you relisted it, it went to the back of the list.
Is this commercial or residential?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Residential. Rent over 100K/year, with a Tenancy Agreement containing a term of 3 years with 2 month break close, with 2 month notice.

The 3 years expires in September 2015

Notice was served and expired on the 29 th of May.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
What does the agreement say about rent increases please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I wrote in my first brief, there is no reference to rent increase in the Tenancy Agreement

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If there is no mechanism for increase then the landlord can't do it. He landlord can only increase the rent if there is a trigger in the rents, agreement.
In order to get you out the landlord would first need to serve a notice to quit. This would give you a period of 2 months to move out. If you do not the he must issue proceedings for possessing this will take a further 4-6 weeks depending on how busy the court is. Even if he does get possession a judge will allow 14 days for you to move out. If you do not then and only then can he instruct bailiffs. That will take around another 4 weeks.
So the whole process will take around 4 months or so. You will always be notified of a bailiff appointment in advance. A bailiff can only come once there is an order for possession.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice