75100385

I have recently withdrew my offer on a property I

I have recently withdrew my offer on a property I was thinking of purchasing. I had received the contract and transfer but had not signed anything or sent anything back to my solicitor as I changed my mind. On Monday, I sent my solicitor an email to let them know I was withdrawing my offer. I did not hear anything from them. I also sent an email to the E agent. This evening I received an email with a Completion statement attached stating money required.
Please can you help me with this.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Were contracts exchanged please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. No, this is why I am so confused. I have not sent anything back to my solicitor. All the documents are in front of me. I have not signed them. No date has been set to complete, I have not received any of the enquiries I raised. I informed them on Monday that I was withdrawing my offer.

This evening I received an email and attachment letter showing a completion statement and money required to pay. I am really concerned and confused

Ok, then UNLESS contracts have been exchanged either party can withdraw. Once contracts have been exchanged you can't withdraw
So you should call your Solicitor tomorrow morning and clarify the position. But unless you have signed something it would be unusual to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I intend to contact my solicitor tomorrow. I have not sent any signed contracts back to the solicitor. The only signed information I have ever sent is the client care information which you have to send when you propose to purchase a property. The contract has never been signed and there are no dates in place. I haven't even received any enquiries back.. nor searches etc

I have the contract and transfer in front of me and have not signed it or returned it back. Please can you let me know in terms of UK law what is the situation with exchange of contracts. I am really confused here. It is a Leasehold property does this make a difference? I can't see how it would.. I am really stressed at this as it doesn't follow anything I have seen or been involved in before.

Its a matter of contract law here. There is an offer, there is an acceptance subject to a contract. Unless there is an exchange of the contracts which is an agreement to purchase either side can pull out.
Its like when you sign a tenancy agreement, its a contract - but not binding until signed by both Landlord and Tenant.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Well, I have no idea why they have sent me a completion statement then. It makes no sense.

I agree, it makes no sense.
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh just lastly. Is there a difference with the exchange of contracts for Leasehold and Freehold properties?

No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.

Thanks Alex

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?