12826847

I was in partnership with my sister and we declared ourselves

Customer Question

I was in partnership with my sister and we declared ourselves bankrupt in Mar 2009 . I had to surrender my pension , credit cards etc. I spoke to the Insolvency Service in May 2015 and was told there could still be claims by creditors. I live in Northern Ireland and have been suffering from breast cancer for the last 10 years. Have I any claims on my pension which is worth approx £5500 ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
Have you been discharged from your Bankruptcy?
Are you subject of any income payment orders?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Discharged from bankruptcy not subject to any income payment orders
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
In theory your should be free and clear of your creditors, and your pension is only liable if you have made excessive contributions to it pre bankruptcy.
Can you tell me exactly what the trustee has said to you? Saying you might have to make further contributions is very vague - the contributions would have to come from specific pre bankruptcy assets.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ