Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My wife's father recently died leaving his estate to his second

My wife's father recently died leaving his estate to his second wife (Step Mother) as you would expect. My wife's stepmother has a terminal illness and is in a nursing home.
There are a total of 4 siblings, two on each side of their marriage.
The Stepmother's will (Made 1987) provides for a simple 4way split of the estate (around 300k) should she die a widow.
However my wife's step brother has applied for power of attorney, as the stepmother is no longer able to make decisions concerning her care due to her dementia.
The question is will he now have the power to change her will in his own favour?
If so could this be challenged now? or after her death?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please be rest assured that the step brother has no power whatsoever to change his Mother's Will.

An Attorney only has power to look after the party's affairs, and should keep accounts of monies being spent ontheir behalf. Their powers do not extend to doing anything with the party's Will.

I hope this clarifies the position to you.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. Smile