UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My naturalisation application was refused and I want to find out if I have reasonable grou

Customer Question

My naturalisation application was refused and I want to find out if I have reasonable grounds to successfully appeal.
I was an asylum seeker and did not report to the home office between 2004 and 2010. I applied for permission to get married in 2010 but was instead granted Indefinite Leave to Remain.
I then applied for Naturalisation in October 2014 (Home Office acknowledged receipt of my application on 2 Nov 2014).
Yesterday, I received a letter saying my application had been denied because I my failure to report to the Home Office between 2004-2011 meant I was not of good character.
Nothing yet. I just need to know if my case has any merit; or whether I should wait until 2021 to reapply as the refusal letter says.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
I would advise you to wait until 2021 to reapply as the Home Office have advised. Naturalisation is granted at discretion and the Home Office have deemed your failure to report to them bad character I am afraid and this cannot be overturned.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my original message, I gave you specific dates for a reason. And you failed to note that the Home Office tightened their guidance on the 11th of December 2014 - after receiving my application.

So, I'm unimpressed with your answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
In my original message, I gave your so-called "expert" specific dates for a reason. And he failed to note that the Home Office had tightened their guidance on the 11th of December 2014 - after receiving my application.
So, I'm unimpressed with his answer.
I am sorry but the new guidance applies to all decisions made on or after 11 December 2014, so if your application was decided after 11 December 2014 as I suspect it was, you are caught by the new guidance.
See page 3 of the guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/406368/Chapter_18_Annex_D_v02.pdf