12826847

I think I am in trouble last year I claimed working tax credit

Customer Question

I think I am in trouble last year I claimed working tax credit and is still on going. I have a private Income protection Plan with Zurich from witch I have been receiving around £199.42 or more a month. I have not declared/told HM Revenue or Zurich. Can you please advise me. My friend helped me and says I have nothing to worry about and should just keep my mouth shut??
Yours Sincerely *****
How much have you been receiving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo.c

I have received from working tax credit £3,994.64 since 13/10/14. one payment off £622.80 six payments of £461.91 one payment £305.94

and one Payment of 3294.44 received on 18/05/15

OK,
What was the specific question that Zurich asked you about your financial circumstances?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Zurich has been paying me around £199.42 a month for the past year hope this helps

OK.
But did Zurich ask you about your financial circumstances before paying out?
What does their contract say about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I received a end of year from Zurich, witch I get every April asking for my p60, any other private insurance claims and from work and pensions. I had also phoned them and asked and they said we need to know if you have had any other money or you have received or been receiving any money you need to tell us.

OK. You do need to declare this. They will ultimately find out.
If you declare it to them then there is no realistic chance of being accused of insurance fraud. Even if they do try to argue it the difficulty they have is that it is almost impossible to show fraud when a person has declared because it rebuts the dishonesty element.
What they may do is ask you to repay any overpayment but that is a different point. I realise that you probably aren't keen to do that but it is better than being prosecuted I'm sure you will agree.
As long as you do act it will be fine. Just tell them that you have made a mistake and need to declare now that you have realised which is all absolutely true.
If you do not declare then that probably does amount to dishonesty and if they catch you then you are at risk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to tell them if I have had any other money coming in or any changes in in my income.

Sorry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Canning

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/