12826847

At 16.10 yesterday I hit a mobility scooter. I was negotiating

Customer Question

At 16.10 yesterday I hit a mobility scooter. I was negotiating a left hand corner at slow speed(5MPH?) in my car. I had just started from a Zebra crossing before the turn. I was checking for pedestrians crossing the road I was turning into. The sun was shining into my face, it was very bright. I had checked to my right and was looking to the left pavement as I moved ahead. There was a bang and I had hit a mobility scooter. It was a mild impact, did not push the scooter off its wheels, and the driver did not fall off although I did pull him fully back into his seat. A Police witness has said that the scooter came across the junction at high speed and the car driver was not to blame. The impact was on my front near side bumper. I did not see the scooter coming. The police have not warned me and say that they will not be taking action against me. They are looking for CCTV evidence. I am fully insured and I understand that the scooter is not. It did have a registration DVLA disc on the scooter. Even though I did not cause this accident I am told that as I'm insured he can claim against me. What is my position please?
Please reply on my Email which is***@******.***. Thanks John.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to know my legal situation, can he claim on me because I'm the only insured person, even though I do not see that I caused the accident?

Have you reported to your insurance company?
Also, I notice you have not yet left feedback for a previous answer so I would be grateful if you could do that now.