31090051

Can I share an e mail to me which involves a third party if

Can I share an e mail to me which involves a third party if the email is evidence of improper conduct by the individual who wrote the e mail or whose action has resulted in that e mail. The individual is a senior officer in a public body who has behaved improperly.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A trade union representative describes a phone call that they have received from a senior officer of a public body. She describes content to her member. The e mail names the senior officer making the phone call and describes an improper offer - essential to improve a reference if the party withdraws a professional complaint.

The originator of the trigger call has tried to "advise" that release of this e mail would be in Breach of Data Protection Act - his misdemeanours would be exposed.

Obviously there is a public interest as well.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
This would not be a breach of data protection. It would be the sharing of information within an organisation necessary for the management and administration of the organisation. It may also be a "whistleblowing" situation so, no, from the information you have given Indont see it as being a breach of data protection.
Data protection is to prevent abuse, not to cover it up.