Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was involved in a non fault rta, after giving details at

i was involved in a non fault rta, after giving details at the scene (while very nervous and a little shaky standing in the pouring rain) i get a text from the other driver saying my reg no doesn't exist, I called them immediately and gave the details again over the phone, am in any legal liability here or have I done enough to complete my legal duties, there was no injury at the scene and the damage appears to be very minor, just scratch damage.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

today, about 2 hours before the phone call was made.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK
The legal requirement is to exchange details at the scene which you have done and thus discharged your legal obligation to the other driver.
However, to err on the side of caution you should consider reporting the accident to the police (within 24 hours but sooner the better) with your licence, insurance and MOT certificate and completely cover yourself against any criminal liability.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so the fact the other drive was unable to read my writing due to weather and nerves doesn't matter since I provided the details?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The law is that you have to exchange details.
The fact that heshe was able to text you is proof of that contact.
Clearly the other person has your details and you have theirs.
If a mistake was made about the number plate you have rectified it during your call.
The law required you to stop at the scene where there is personal injury or damage which you have done.
You also have to give your details.
So the fact that you have given your details means that you have complied with your legal obligations.
If an error has been made with the registration number it is immaterial because you have rectified it.
The point of the exercise is to stop hit and run drivers - clearly you have not 'run'.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much for your time and guidance. I have little experiance with this (and hope it to stay that way!) you have been most helpful

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
It was my pleasure. Have a good evening and please let me know if I can assist further. I would be grateful if you could take a moment to rate my answer.