Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have sold our property and the exchange has taken place.

we have sold our property and the exchange has taken place. Our neighbour made a false claim stating the my wife hit their car. my insurer and their insurer checked the evidence and the neighbour lost the claim. now he is threatening to put a writ on our house via third party to prevent us from moving. Is this this possible?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please be rest assured, that your neighbour is in dreamland!

The only way a party can put a charge or Restriction on someone else's property is if they have previously issued Court proceedings against the other party for damages and been successful, and then re-applied to Court because that party has not paid the damages that the Court have awarded (ie in your case this would entail him having to take you to Court , be successful, then reapply to Court due to you then not paying what the Court ordered you to pay).

I'm not sure where he got the word "writ" from- this is a claim made in the High Court where a party has a claim normally over £50,000!

I therefore feel your neighbour is being rather vindictive to say the least and is trying to bully you into agreeing to pay him whatever he is claiming.

I hope this assists and puts your mind at rest.

Kind Regards

Al