UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

A Will leaves a bequest to someone by name and amount, the

A Will leaves a bequest to someone by name and amount, the residual estate goes to someone else and the main assets go into a trust for others. After payment of debts and IHT there is no residual amount left and all the rest has been placed into a trust. Should the named legatee have been paid first or do they lose out?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please keep going. Do you have a shortage of law advisors now? Always had a very quick response before and you are still listing some of the professionals I have used before. If you do not have many people now I might have to cancel my subscription so an update would be much appreciated.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. We still do have lots of Professionals. I'm sorry this has taken so long.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
If there is nothing in the residual estate, then there is nothing left to distribute to the residual beneficiary who loses out. They do not have to be paid first.
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry perhaps I was not clear. The Will showed £10k to person A as a bequest, X Amount into trust for persons B and C, residual to person D.

IHT took all of cash and also bit into trust amount so I agree Person D gets nothing. My question was about person A should he have received something before anything went into trust ?

Yes, A should have got a share in that case.
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience