13262538

If your solicitor is carrying out a probate and distant

If your solicitor is carrying out a probate for you and distant relatives start to contest the will - if she or he is not qualified to deal with Contesting of Wills should she/he tell you straight away.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would be most grateful if you can find an expert who can help. Otherwise do you think the Law Society could help me?

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Could you explain a little more about what actually happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Employer died in October of last year and Probate began. In January his distant relatives started the process of contesting the Will. They had seen my previous employer's will (he died in May of last year) and noted that they were not left anything in the Will. My solicitor started to act for me and about 4 weeks ago told me she was not qualified to deal with the contesting of Wills. I have now had to find another expert in this field, which I have. I'm sure you can imagine I feel frustrated that she did not tell me in January when the relatives started the process.

I hope this helps.

You are correct - she should have notified you immediately that this would be beyond her ability to deal with.
You should make a formal complaint to the firm about this - they should have given you the details of their complaints procedure at the start.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Clare,

I am very grateful for your help. The only problem I have is that I built up a good relationship with her and I now feel embarrassed to make a formal complaint. I know she will be receiving a lot of money after working on two probates for me and she always seems so nice and caring. At least I know now where I stand and will think about what I will do next.

Thanks again

I understand that.
In that case - you could consider writing a letter expressing your disappointment.
I suspect that it was a matter of her wanting to help and hoping she could resolve it for you - but finally realising she could not
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.