Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am working without pay, what are my legal rights?

Customer Question

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice,

I verbally agreed to write a marketing plan for a startup fashion brand in exchange for GBP600 in merchandise. However, they have asked for input on the business plan as well. I know realize the scope of the project is much greater than I expected. When I expressed my concerns, I was told that I promised and therefore must deliver. Please advise.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
This appears to be an issue of contract rather than an employer/employee relationship.
You accepted an offer to do some work in return for some merchandise. A contract, therefore, exists which, even if verbal, is in legally binding.
The only way to exit this agreement without the risk of legal action is to make it clear that you are being asked to do work which is over and above the original agreement.
You have to assess how much work could be justified for £600 and then try and re-negotiate for further payment for additional work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a verbal agreement. There is no contract or written agreement. I have explained that I charge GBP1,000 an hour and that the value of my services to date is GBP10,000 or 10 days with of work. I also have unpaid out-of-pocket expenses. How on earth can this be binding?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
What do you do for £1,000 per hour? At that rate you have agreed only 25 minutes of your time is that correct?