75100385

Booked a wedding venue in November 2014 and paid £500 deposit

Booked a wedding venue in November 2014 and paid £500 deposit on the day. Paid £3000 further payment of which £1500 was a 'compulsory payment. Had to cancel this due to exceptional circumstances in february - venue made aware. Delays on their part meant my issue was only addressed in May 2015 and £1000 offered back to me.
Contract states clearly £500 deposit is non refundable only. yes the £1500 compulsary payment is stated but nothing identifies this as deposit nor is it stated as non-refundable.
Venue is refusing to give the £3000 payments back. Can i legally submit a claim for this monies?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Alex!
Am i legally right in my thoughts that this money is refundable to me?
Yes, save for the £500.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you :)
Happy to help!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex!
The CAB advised me that this would be a breach of contract on my part and they could pursue me for the full amount?! I gave them enough time/notice to resolve and re-book, is this true?
No, they are wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex. final point - do i have to give them the 14 days notice? I did email them friday but asked for a response by Monday failing which i'd log a claim.
Ok - then you can do it now if you wish then.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Perfect! thank you :)