12826847

My partner and I have just separated. We have been living

My partner and I have just separated. We have been living together for four and a half years and got engaged in November. He has now decided to leave me for his ex wife. We rent and we are both on the tenancy agreement. He has promised to pay the rent and home utilities until October when the contract runs out and he has put this into writing which has been signed by both of us and witnessed. He was the main breadwinner and I was named in his will as the beneficiary of his pension. Do I have any legal standing at all?
Do you have any children together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, he has four children from previous marriages that I have looked after with him when he's had custody of them. Every other weekend with the girls and four times a year with the boys

Are you asking if you can claim maintenance from him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I'm asking if there's anything I'm legally entitled to x

I am sorry then but it is bad news.
I'm afraid you have no claim against him at all. You are not a wife and so cannot claim maintenance. The truth is that wives do not get maintenance much now unless there are child care issues. You have no children and so cannot claim for them.
While the will stands you remain the beneficiary but he can change that again as he wishes.
In relation to the tenancy agreement, he is named tenant upon it and so is liable as much as you for the rent but since you are living there and he is not a court might well not be happy to make an order against him.
I'm very sorry but even partners with children cannot claim for themselves.