12826847

We are trying to evict our tenant. The previous landlord did

We are trying to evict our tenant. The previous landlord did not protect the deposit. We have returned the tenants deposit and served the section 21 notice. Is this correct?
Yes, it is the only way to serve a valid S21 notice.
Obviously that does not protect you from liability for three times the sum of the deposit but in terms of serving a valid S21 notice this is the only way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo. We recieved a letter from the tenant's solicitor returning our cheque uncashed and stating that the tenancy agreement provides for the deposit to be protected and that we cannot unilaterally change the terms of the contract. They have said they will defend the proceedings and rely on section 215(2) of the Housing Act 04 which prevents a landlord from serving a S21 notice where s213(3) has not been complied with - any thoughts??

Ah, that is different
He hasn't accepted the return of the deposit then. That does change things.
The points they are making are absolutely right then.
The only way around that is to secure the deposit, usually by granting a further AST, and then serve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo. OK we will secure the deposit then although thought that we had to return it to the tenant?

How would we grant a further AST? Is this necessary? I can't see the tenant playing ball

Returning it to the tenant can get around this issue but it has to be accepted by the tenant and it has nt been
The only other alternative is to allow the tenant to sue. If the tenant brings a claim which has been determined, withdrawn or settled by the court, this will then allow the landlord to serve a valid section 21 notice.
Or, of course, securing the deposit.