Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I've asked to see the company credit card statements

I've asked to see the company credit card statements for an employee for the last five years. as this should only be used to purchase goods and services for the good of the club, I've been asked to look into financial irregularities, the employee is the secretary our club, however he is claiming that that to give them to me because "as an employee of the Order, these would not be able to be provided as the club have a duty of care to our staff as laid out in Employment Law.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Who is actually the employer of the employee? Is it the committee of the club? How long has the employee worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Employer is the club, and he has worked for the club for six years

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Well he seems to be trying to hide behind something here. There is no law which would prevent an employer from seeing credit card records if they have suspicions that there are financial irregularities.
The employer can ask him to produce these records within a reasonable amount of time (say 7 days) and say that it amounts to a 'reasonable management instruction' that he produces them.
The employer can also say that if he fails to comply with a 'reasonable management instruction'he may be dismissed for gross misconduct as in employment law 'failure to comply with a reasonable management instruction' can amount to gross misconduct and result in summary dismissal.
Hopefully this will lead the employee to comply.
If it does not the employer can hold a disciplinary hearing, giving him the right to be accompanied and terminate for the failure to produce the records.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would his also include his expenses

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Yes it would also include full details of his expenses.
It is within the employers right to request this.
There is no employment law to preclude them from doing so.