How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now


Resolved Question:

I HAD A CONFISCATION ORDER TO PAY FOUR YEARS AGO FOR £16,500 BENEFIT FRAUD. THE JUDGE SAID I ONLY HAD ASSETS TOTALING £11,500 In a property that i half owned. I PAID THE £11,500 PLUS £2,500 FOR THE PROSECUTIONS COSTS. That left left £5,000 Off the original debt to the DSS.
£11,500 was the amount of assets the judge said i had. Its been 4years since i went to court. I paid all the monies in full but now the DSS say i still owe £5000. I was led to believe that if the judge said i could only afford to pay 11,500 of the £16,50 debt i owed the DSS, then why do i still owe the DSS money. Do i still owe this money to the DSS. I'M VERY CONFUSED.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
It seems that the Judge decided that your benefit from criminal conduct (the fraud) was £16,500.
That is basically the sum that had to be paid.
At the time the Judge decided that you had £11,500 available to you.
But the £11,500 would not usually be a payment in full and final settlement. It is only the sum available to you at the time.
What this means is that you £11,500 but there is still £5,000 owed.
The DWP are seeking that balance which they are entitled to do. They can still chase you for the balance as a debt.
So it does appear to me that your still owe the £5,000.
I am happy to discuss this with you in more details if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still confused, as neither the Judge or my barrister told me that i would still owe the money.

I was under the impression that once i paid the £11,500 and the court costs of £2,500 after selling my property then that was the end of it.

Four years have past and then out of the blue i receive the letter from the DSS asking for the £5000. I just can't understand why it was left so long before they contacted me.

I'm in the same financial position as before but this time i don't have any assets. Can they do another confiscation order?????

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
If the confiscation order was made for £16,500 and the balance of £5,000 is outstanding then you should apply to vary or discharge the original order.
Under Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 an application to vary/discharge is made to the Crown Court that made the original Confiscation Order.
You can apply for legal aid to help you to do this.
The court will look at your circumstances and decide whether the confiscation order should be varied/discharged.
In the meantime you should contact the DWP to explain that you cannot pay them the outstanding sum. You will have to tell them about all your income/savings and assets. If you can demonstrate that you do not have any money they may not proceed with their collection activities.
But as a starting point you should go and see a solicitor in order to make an applicaiton to the court to discharge the original order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. I don't know what a discharge or vary means but I will certainly look into it.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Discharge means to get rid of the confiscation order and vary means to change it.
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice