Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I working at morrisons supermarket. there has

I working for 15years at morrisons supermarket. there has been a restructure and as a result my post is no longer there
so I either went to team manager from my post as supervisor or I droped to a sales assistant which I have done
during all this restructure I was given a redundancy package , but was told by law they had to , but had no intention of paying out. I am in the union but they have not been very helpful. All I wanted to know is is this legal.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Were you told you could take the drop in role as an alternative to redundancy?
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Redundancy was just shown to me .they said there are enough staff members to fill postions so no will be given.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
If you are now on a lower role then they cannot say that there is no redundancy situation. They can offer you a lower role as an alternative to redundancy but if you do not wish to accept it then you are entitled to a redundancy payment.
Normally you have 28 days from the date you start in the new role as a 'trial' period, after which you can say you are not happy to take the role and wish to take redundancy. The employer can only refuse this if they can show that the role is a 'suitable alternative' to redundancy (which means on the same salary and status).
You should tell your employer you do not believe the new role amounts to a suitable alternative to redundancy and ask for your redundancy payment.
You can also engage ACAS early claim concilation for assistance with this. You will find details on the ACAS website www.acas.org.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.