Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My wife and I are visiting Cuba flying this Thursday morning.

Customer Question

My wife and I are visiting Cuba flying this Thursday morning. We have just discovered we both need Tourist Cards but the on-line issuing sites say it takes 2 - 5 days whereas we only have 36 hours. Is it possible to get them at the airport (London Gatwick South) before departure?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
Are you travelling with Virgin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes flight VS063

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Virgin Atlantic can help you to obtain a tourist visa for Cuba which can be collected at their desk. You must contact Virgin tomorrow morning and they will process it; my understanding is that the visa costs £35 or so.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Try this:
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/getting-into-the-country/cuban-visa.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will be travelling to Gatwick in the morning as we intend to stay there overnight before our flight on Thursday morning. I can't contact Virgin while I am travelling. Could we go straight to their desk in Gatwick tomorrow afternoon and obtain the Tourist Cards then?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
In my experience that is not possible. Virgin themselves do not obtain the visa for you - they have a partner company who do that. You have to make an applicaiton in advance and then it can be collected from their desk.
You have to remember that the visa is issued by the Cuban Embassy not by Virgin themselves - the desk is the collection point not the place to make the applicaiton. I do not believe that you can simply turn up and get the visa on the day - that means potentially many people queuing to apply for a visa which will simply cause delays at the airport.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I have just telephoned Virgin.
Apparently you can obtain a TOURIST CARD which costs £30 from the VIRGIN HOLIDAYS DESK at the terminal building. But they advise that you should ring them tomorrow so they can take some details from you about your passport etc. The help desk is open only until 6 p.m. But I was cheeky enough to ask the reservations team who are on: 0344(###) ###-####