Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Good evening..... A very brief summary... I bought

Hi, good evening.....
A very brief summary...
I bought a car in December 2013 from a Ford Franchise. The car was described at the time as a 'Ford Direct' vehicle...
In April this year I was concerned that if I broke down, I didn't have any Ford Direct paperwork... Nor the additional 2 year warranty taken at the time...
Anyway in April this year I contacted Ford asking for the paperwork, the reply was sorry, this car is not a 'Ford Direct' vehicle..! It did not meet the Ford criteria !!!
So, I contacted the Franchise, who have consistently confirmed that car car is indeed a Ford Direct vehicle... (But it is not)
It has been a very long protracted effort to get the dealership to have proper communication and to get a resolution to my concerns...
Even both Ford Protect and Ford Direct have been brilliant in putting pressure on this dealership to communicate....
So, clearly there is much more to this unpleasant experience. The dealership do accept they have made errors in the description when the sold me the car...
As they have failed to follow through even today, I now want o consider my options in taking this further, if I have to....
Thank you for your time,
Kind Regards, Stephen
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
what is the effect on you of the misrepresentation, is it the loss of free car care and / or insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jenny...

Well, this is quite complex...

You have to look at the difference in the price of a Ford Direct car, as opposed to a non Ford Direct car...

Ford themselves have told me that a Ford Direct car has premium services to that of a non direct car...

Also, lets not forget that if I had sold my car and advertised it as Ford Direct vehicle, truly believing that, I could have been misrepresenting that car and open to risk...

Plus had I broke down, I would not have been covered and had to pay for any recover

Steve

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok well the dealership should not have misrepresented this to you.
You can bring a claim against the dealership for your losses in breach of contract for failing to provide to you the benefits of the car being a 'Ford Direct' car, this may or may not extend to loss of value on sale if you can sell the car with these benefits.
You need to try to quantify the value of the loss by working out what it would cost you to put the services in place, this would be the cost of break down cover and the other benefits of being a 'Ford Direct car'. You can then send them a letter before action to say that if they fail to remedy the matter you will have no alternative but to claim agianst them in the county court. You will be able to pick up a claim form at the local court. Hopefully they will come up with a sensible proposal to avoid the need to bring action.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, okay Jenny, that direction I have already looked at. As the differential in pricing can be from £500 to over £2,500 depending on the car, spec and so on....

I have tried in vein to get the dealership to this point over the last week, with each time, failing to hear back, even though they have promised to do so, just like today...

So, there is my frustration... I did record some of the most recent calls, which are extremely telling and clearly record their comments of yes we have made errors and have not handled this well at all... !

Although I know I cannot use this in a legal situation, at least it gives a flavour of the problems I have had with this dealership...

Yes, I will of course comments accordingly, thank you

Steve

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I understand that pricing may not be easy but presumably you can see what the benefits are under the Ford Direct policy and apply them to your vehicle which is the most logical and correct contractual approach.
You need to threaten legal action.
If you have household insurance this often contains free legal expenses cover. This may be worth looking into as they will be able to assist you with your claim if the dealership do not adequately resolve matters for you.
Good luck with this.
Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know.
I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as it is an important part of the process and I will not be credited for my time otherwise. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks Jenny, a few useful tips in your replies and yes I will

Kind Regards, Steve

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Steve, do come back to me in the future if you need to and I hope you can sort this out.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only