LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Neighbours are putting bins and parking one car taking up two

neighbours are putting bins and parking one car taking up two spaces on a public road in order to reserve the space for themselves. In doing so they are making parking chaos for the rest of us. This road is used by commuters and dog walkers as well as homeowners who are desperately seeking free parking on our road.
Is 'reserving' space on a public road illegal and if so, who is in charge of dealing with this?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a lawyer with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
I am afraid that this sort of selfish conduct is the sort of unpleasant low level misconduct that the law is not very good at dealing with.
It is not illegal park a car badly so that 2 spaces are taken up instead of one. Is this street parking or marked parking spaces?
They have no right to put bins on the road to reserve spaces and there is no legal reason why you can't simply remove their bins from the road and park there.
In the normal course of events the road will be maintained by a public body, probably the local authority but your chances of getting any effective action from them are virtually nil.
I suspect that this is not the answer you were hoping for but there is no point holding out false hope for you. Is there a reason why you don't want to move the bins and park as is your legal right.