Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am extremely unhappy with the way my previous vet treated

I am extremely unhappy with the way my previous vet treated my pug dog, in turn I had to get a second opinion and changed vets but it was all too late. If the previous vet had found the problem sooner I know my pet would of survived. Also they gave her medicine which in turn caused her liver to fail. I need some legal advice as to where I stand please.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I am sorry you lost your dog.
Does the new vet think that the death was caused by bad/ negligent treatment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are sitting on the fence a bit. They did confirm that if i went down the route the previous vets were suggesting my dog would of had no chance at all as all the scans and tests previoulsy done would of had to be started again and she definately would not of survived. By the time i took her for a second opinion she was days away from dying. Because the new vets found the problem within 24 hours it did give her another 7 weeks of life but the infection was just too much for her.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok it is possible that you could claim professional negligence against the vet if you can show that the treatment they chose was negligent and resulted in the death of your dog.
You really need to get your new vet to back up this proposition and to support your argument.
You should write to the old vet to say that you believe that they have been negligent and that you are going to bring a claim and to contact your insurers.
It is not an easy task to bring a claim. If you have household insurance it may contain free legal expenses insurance which is worth looking at if applicable.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Taratill

Thank you for your advice i did not have pet insurance so i paid them over £5,000.00 None of this is about the money. I would of paid double to have her back its about pure neglience and i dont want anyone else to go through what i have just been through.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I understand that, I would definitely pursue it. Good luck.
I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything else you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?