Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Wall insulation causing damp im in dispute with the company

wall insulation causing damp im in dispute with the company that provided the work where do i go from here
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this in a residential property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes we have lived in the house for 25yrs no problems with damp until wall insulation

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok have you contacted the wall insulation company, is so what have they said about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we have contacted them a number of times they have maintained that its lack of maintainance on the outside wall but the wall is the same now as it was when the insulation was done they carried out the survey and informed us it was suitable to be done it was only after 3 years that we noticed the damp coming on the inside wall of the lounge and toilet we got in touch with the company and they sent somebody to inspect it they said it was nothing to do with the work they had carried out we accepted that at the time and tried to cure it ourselves much later we contacted them again as the problem had got much worse this was the time they said it was the outside wall

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest that you write to them to say that you maintain that you believe that they are responsible and that you intend to bring legal action if they do not take corrective measures, you can say that clearly there is a dispute as to the cause of the damp and that you intend to get an expert report to clarify that they are responsible. You should ask them if they would be prepared to get a joint expert report. If the expert report finds in your favour and they do not resolve the problem then you can bring a claim against them. If you have household insurance this may contain free legal expenses insurance, it is worth looking at this as you may get legal assistance for this issue. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we have written to them saying that we dissagree to their findings as yet have had no reply that was 14 days ago would this be a case for the small claims court or the local ambudsman

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
The small claims court is the correct approach.
As I said in my last response you will need to provide evidence that this was the cause, you really will need to instruct an independent expert to do this.
If you do not have access to legal expenses cover many litiagtion solicitors will offer a free initial consultation. This is also worth looking at.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.