29905560

I booked a Gite in Corsica over the internet through booking.com

I booked a Gite in Corsica over the internet through booking.com and paid through booking.com 50% of the total fee as a deposit. The gite was described by booking.com as having two bedrooms and a bathroom/toilet. On arrival (17.30hrs) we found that access to the 2nd bedroom where the bathroom/toilet was, was by stairs (which were virtually a steep ladder) in the corner of the main bedroom . My wife being 79 yrs old with knee problems and myself 78 yrs old with overnight urinal problems would have not been able to manage the ladder, as well as it would have been awkward going through the 2nd bedroom where a couple of our elderly lady friends were. We had to find somewhere else to stay that evening. Booking.com say that it is nothing to do with them and will not refund our deposit of £268. I feel that my contract was with booking. com and they should have indicated in the description of the property the bedrooms, ladder and bathroom situation. What do we do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
In all honesty it may be rather difficult to get anything from wither the booking site or the owners. You will have to show that the accommodation was misdescribed. This does not really appear to be the case here. You may have had a claim if they had said that there were 2 bedrooms but you only had one; or that they had an en-suite bathroom but instead it was at the other end of the accommodation and not en-suite. However, in this case they correctly described the accommodation and its facilities. For most travellers the situation and location of the bathroom would not have been an issue but only bcame one for you due to your personal circumstances. Of course no one can blame you for this but at the same time the advertisement cannot take into account very traveller’s personal circumstances and what may have been inconvenient for them. So they have advertised the property correctly because they have included details of the facilities available. If you had specific concerns about access then this is something you should have enquired about before booking. They cannot be expected to consider every possible issue that a traveller may have and include that in the description.
Therefore, whilst you are still able to pursue either party directly and complain and ask for a refund or compensation, they can easily refuse. Your only option thereafter is the court route but I would not recommend that due to your relatively weak position from a legal point of view, which makes this rather risky.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Having been told and agreed to pay £14 why demand an extra £6 to view you useful reply - I object to this request and ask you to cancel the extra £6

Yours sincerely ***** *****

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello you do not have to pay anything extra to view the reply. Can you not see the full response above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Ben,I WII give you a good rating but I need a satisfactory explanation as to why I was charged initially £14 and then had to pay an extra £6 ? I note that the £6 has not appeared as yet on my VISA statement

Payment receipt
Hi Terry Underhill,
Thank you for using JustAnswer UK. We confirm £6 has been charged to the selected payment method. Ask another question now – Lawyers, Doctors, Mechanics, Veterinarians, and Experts in over 100 other categories are available 24/7 to help.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello Terry, I am afraid I have no dealings with your account and I am just on here to provide legal advice. If you have any account queries please contact Customer Services via the Help icon at the bottom of your screen or by emailing them at***@******.***. Thank you