75100385

How long does the tax credit office have after they closed

How long does the tax credit office have after they closed an enquiry to issue penalty or
Ask you to attend an interview?
Hello my name us aiex and I will help you with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex , I had a tax credits enquiry about my past years tax credit claim, mentioning an undisclosed partner. I rang them explained I could not provide the documents either way to prove my innocence. Long story short agreed to re pay overpayments, but one of the letters mentioned I may have to pay a penalty or attend an interview under caution. The enquiry closed on the 28th May but I did not know if they have a timescale where they have to contact me issuing a penalty or requesting an interview?
Hi. There is no limit on time. Sadly they could do it months or even years down the line. But if the HMRC has closed the enquiry it's unlikely they will do anything further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** thing to clarify please, the letter stated on the enquiry letter telling me it was closed. They may consider a penalty, so would you say that could still be likely ?
It's possible but unlikely anything will happen now. But there is no time limit sadly.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.