UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I was refused citizenship in 2013 due to deception! i

Customer Question

hi,
i was refused citizenship in 2013 due to deception! i came to UK in 1999 and only got the ILR in 2010, undre a fake name that i used when i first came to united kingdom! the ILR was granted outside the immigration rules and since i was granted it, i the changed my name to my original one but the fake date of birth and nationality remained the same!
up to now i have been consultin different people but havent done anything to approach the homme office about it!
on the refusal letter it stated that , it is opened to me to reapply for the citizenship but i might be unsuccessful for 10 years due to deception!
i live with a EU citizen lady and recently had a baby boy ! delighted!!!
would you please advise what to do and how to go about it?
kind regards
Eric
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Deception is very serious and as you have noted, you are banned from re-applying for citizenship for 10 years.
The Home Office also has the power to revoke your ILR as it was obtained by deception and I would advise you to live with your fake name and date of birth or risk your ILR being taken away from you on the grounds of deception.
However, as you are in a relationship with an EEA national, you may have the right to reside in the UK even if your ILR is revoked.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that by keeping my fake date of birth and knowing the fact that the home office knows my real details , would worsen my case and deepen my deseption? Also why didn't they revoke my ILR when I applied for the citizenship ? They new the real story !
Eric
You are lucky that your ILR was not revoked. As you already have ILR, you do not need to deal with the Home Office again until and unless you apply for British Citizenship after 10 years by which time you will have served the "sentence" for deception.
Hope this helps and please leave feedback
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like my real details instead ! And carry on with my life the same way as now! I was thinking of buying my own house and going on holiday with my new born baby and partner, but but I'm afraid that knowing the fact that the home office knows my real details gives me insecurity and I'm afraid that they may stop me at the borders and yet revoke my ILR ! Not sure what is best , but one thing is for certain that beeing the real me is what I want!
Thanks again
Eric
In that case I suggest that you get a solicitor to draw up a statutory declaration with your correct name, date of birth etc. attach any proof of your correct name e.g. birth certificate and send it to the Home Office asking them to update your correct details in their system and issue you with a new BRP showing your ILR status.
I am unable to tell what the Home Office will do, it may accede to your request or it may revoke your ILR.
All the best-please leave feedback