29905560

My husband has received a letter stating that he has won a

Customer Question

My husband has received a letter stating that he has won a substantial sum in the People's Postcode Lottery 2015 Award International program held in Madrid, Spain.
He will it is stated receive this sum on payment of £1800 into their bank account.
We would value your advice as to whether this is legitamit
or if it is a scam to relieve us of £1800
Thank you for your help
M Poole
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has he entered any lottery of that name?
This is a scam. Such types of scams, also known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.
The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:
• You are contacted, usually out of the blue, and informed you have won a lottery or other draw. However, you cannot win unless you have consciously bought a ticket or entered it in some way - no one just gives money away like that. Also there is no legitimate lottery with that name.
• Before the prize materializes, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as a clearance fee, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. In reality, a genuine winner would never have to pay anything in advance to get their winnings. You may not have been asked to do so yet but it is just a matter of time and often this request is made right at the last minute, once they have gained your trust.
DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.
If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on 0300(###) ###-####or by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud. You may also report this to your local police station as they are capable of dealing with scam reports, although they will rarely get involved unless you have suffered any losses.
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you
Hello do you need any further assistance with your query or has your question been answered? Thanks